MatchMaker2 - New version released and Lua bound! (v0.4f)

Discussion about MatchMaker, MultiArcanum, UltimateArcanum and other multiplayer projects.
Saruman
Coin Donator
Coin Donator

Re: MatchMaker2 - New version released and Lua bound! (v0.4f

Post by Saruman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 am

Hey Crypton!

First of all, and sorry for the off-topic: how are you, how are the things? shoot definitely happens, but I hope somehow it will turn out alright.

As for myself, since I managed to automate checking the server response and backuping a virtual machine hosting Arcanum server, I went to the seaside and left it running. As it turned out, the utility worked fine, but the longer the virtual host carried on working, more buggy the game became. Eventually due to the VirtualBox bugs with taking live virtual host snapshots (they actually turned down this option in later versions of VirtualBox, I was using an older one with this still enabled, as suspending the machinge for the snapshot at best made all players disconnect due to timeout and at worst the game on the host crashed right after) the server operating system crashed together with the VirtualBox. I was somewhat discouraged by such findings, and with lots of things to do after the vacation, I didn't play Arcanum or visit ArcanumClub and Arcanum Alive for a while. But now I'm back again.

So, I must say, you've done a great job with MatchMaker, not to mention OpenArcanum and the website. I've just tried gsave/gload and it works, it actually damn works right, that's impressive, to say the least! Moreover, I must say that even without any further automation what you have already done is very close to perfection - we can now gather for an hour or two playing Arcanum, then just save the progress and continue the next weekend for example.

The only thing is, maybe there's something wrong with russian version of Arcanum, but me and NeOn tried running the server connected directly to the internet and the game stalled at the end of server creation process, sometimes we could see the starting location, but the game froze, and so did the mouse pointer which didn't respond even after alt-tabbing (keyboard worked well alt-tabbed though). Could it be possibly something wrong with MatchMaster? I will try to find and install a vanilla english version of Arcanum, but it could very well persist.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:19 am

Hello Saruman!

Long time no see, I'm glad that you've stopped by. You've been on vacation? What's that? I never heard of such word. Btw, I'm quite okay, I think, thank you for asking ;)

I'm sorry to hear that the VirtualBox isn't working as good as expected. I was thinking about using VirtualBox for running a dedicated servers myself, mainly because it provides a safe & hack-free environment, but I started using Sandboxie instead. So thank you for the warning and keeping us updated.

About the MatchMaker problem, Woratiklis has already informed me about this problem with russian version, and I did investigated it and asked others, if they experienced the same problem: http://forums.arcanumclub.ru/index.php? ... entry94295

I even made a fresh installation of GOG.com's version of Arcanum, with a GF1.3 installed, but everything was working without a problem, so I made screenshot and sent it to Woratiklis.

No one else has reported this problem, so I thought that there must be a problem on his OS. Well, if there is a compatibility problem, then I'll fix it, but I'll need a little bit of help.

As I have mentioned before, everything worked just fine on my side, but I'm using English version of OS Windows, with a Czech locale and other language settings, thus my installation is basically localized in English, and there can be a problem with MatchMaker on other language localizations, but IIRC, the very first version of MatchMaker was working fine on russian localization of OS Windows.

In the new version, I did a lot of changes in both client and master server, so it might take a days before I track the bug down. It would really help me, if you could try to test MatchMaker in following scenarios:
-Move the whole game directory to a C drive, so the path would C:\Arcanum. If it doesn't help, try next step.
-Go to Control Panel -> Region and Language, and try to change the Format, the Location, Keyboard and the system locale to Czech, for example, then please restart the OS and test MatchMaker.

One of these should help. If it does, then I'll know where is the problem. If it doesn't help, then I'll have to figure out something else. In any case, knowing that will help me a lot :)

Have a nice day.

Saruman
Coin Donator
Coin Donator

Post by Saruman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Today we have tested several configurations. None was successful, although the outcomes were a bit different. The results are:

1) Tried both english and russian versions of Arcanum both on english and russian Windows 7, and english Windows XP (as well as setting windows locale for non-unicode programs to english)
2) With routing configured through DMZ, attempt to host a game ended in entering the module and seeing the start location with a welcome message (something about being player number 0) with the game permanently frozen
3) On some configurations mouse pointer became frozen as well even after alt-tab
4) With DMZ turned off we were able to start the server, but people couldn't connect obviously
5) We tried temporary disabling DMZ for the server creation process and establishing it again as soon as the module loaded, but people still couldn't connect, both trough Internet and LAN options and typing in IP address manually
6) We checked that we still could play via LAN option by creating a LAN server and clients typing in the IP address and that worked fine, so definitely the network itself was okay
7) When playing with DMZ, people trying to connect to a server created through MatchMaker after the initial connection recieved the message that server suddently disconnected on the first attempt, followed by messages "unable to connect...". From the server side, the player saw messages like "Wait until the player has connected" followed instantly by "Player disconnected". As a host player, I could even see the player silhouette appearing for a split second and the disappearing. On one occasion the client player actually managed to load 11% of the first file sent during the connection, but then again he was disconnected. As if something forced this disconnection each time and was a bit delayed during this one.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:45 pm

That's very odd. Thank you for making these tests, I believe that I know where is the problem.

In the new version, I have added a packet compression layer to the original network protocol, and I think that it's causing these problems. I'll disable it, check a few things and send you the fixed (I hope) version through PM, later today or tomorrow. (I have to finish the new download section first, or I'll never have a chance to get to it again.)

Thank you again, and see you around ;)

Saruman
Coin Donator
Coin Donator

Post by Saruman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:16 am

Thank you for considering those reports, me and guys from ArcanumClub are eager to test it once the fixes are applied.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 am

Hello,

I think that I have found the code that causes those problems. It will take some time to fix that, but the temporary solution is to delete/comment out the whole function (or, if you want, only a body of) OnPlayerJoined in the script mm_won.lua. Once I fix that bug, which won't be easy, because I had to emulate this event, then I'll send you the fixed library.

Let me know if this works for you. I believe that the problem isn't in the packet compression layer after all.
See you around.

P.S. Sorry for late response, I was busy with the download section.
P.S.S. You can put the body of the function in your own function and call it manually or with a delay, if you want to.

Saruman
Coin Donator
Coin Donator

Post by Saruman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Hey Crypton,

Unfortunately commenting out/deleting the function didn't solve the issue with game stalling for me. I hope that this will help you in identifying the source of the bug.

P.S. No worries at all)

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Oh, now I see that I didn't read your report properly the last time. So you can't even start a new game while using MM, only when you disable it.

I have checked the db records to see where is the problem. In all cases, MatchMaster was able to connect to your server, so it's marked as public server. But in your last two attempts, I don't the name of your server, it's just a empty string, so there is definitely a bug in handling non-English strings, as I can see the name of first server, i.e. Slevin.

So I'll disable the packet compression, and check the MatchMaker/MatchMaster for possible bugs once again, but tomorrow, in the evening, because I got a job interview at the morning.

See you later ;)

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm

I just fixed the issue with MatchMaster not supporting non-English names, and I also disabled the PCL in the MM. You can find it in the attachment of this post.

Also, if it doesn't work, please try to use the old version of MM, and let me know if it works or not. Thanks ;)
Attachments
mm_won.zip
(334.81 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

Saruman
Coin Donator
Coin Donator

Post by Saruman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 pm

Great news - I tried running it and it worked! We'll test connecting/disconnecting/saving/loading tomorrow with ArcanumClub and will let you know of everything we find out. But already - great job, thank you!