OpenArcanum - New ideas topic

Discuss anything that is related to OpenArcanum.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

OpenArcanum - New ideas topic

Post by Crypton » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:36 pm

Yes, we want to know your ideas for new Arcanum engine!

In new Arcanum engine, there will be a advanced settings, which will allow you play original Arcanum or enchanted Arcanum, the second version will be full of new features and you will be always able to switch between these two versions.

So do you have any ideas, what you will improve, change or add?

I'll begin, so here are my ideas for new features:
-Advanced ambient, with raining, thunderbolts, snowing...

-Real water, I've found a super fast algo for 2d water.

-Random sector generator. In original Arcanum, there is only few sectors that repeats, so if that kind of guy who loves walking instead of fast traveling, you'll find out after a while that Arcanum world is dead! This generator will make a random sectors with some critters, scenery and other stuff, in other words, it will make a Arcanum world much more livelier!

-Fully destroyable world, you will be able to destroy almost anything, scenery, walls, buildings and other stuff.

15.8.2009:

-Multiplayer modes, like Capture the Flag, DeathMatch, Search and Destroy... imagine some small map, with these modes.

13.9.2009:

-Make objects more realistic, probably by bump mapping method:)
-Add possibility to build own house in game, like in Ultima Online.

These are only ideas, I need your opinion about them, so what do you think? and feel free to post yours!

Morphie

Re: We care about your ideas! Post them here!

Post by Morphie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Sounds cool, I hope this project haven't been given up and is still in work, I like the points you added! I don't know what to suggest really... cause I'm unsure if they sound reasonable to even implent :D or whatever but I'll just give a try and post my 1 poor suggestion :Pwhat went through my head after reading it
-Since you could modify the water to look more realistic, is there way to modify the NPC models (including players?) to look more 'living' I don't know some sort of animating or something? :P
And will you release some information about this project after some time?

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Morphie wrote:Sounds cool, I hope this project haven't been given up and is still in work, I like the points you added! I don't know what to suggest really... cause I'm unsure if they sound reasonable to even implent :D or whatever but I'll just give a try and post my 1 poor suggestion :Pwhat went through my head after reading it
-Since you could modify the water to look more realistic, is there way to modify the NPC models (including players?) to look more 'living' I don't know some sort of animating or something? :P
And will you release some information about this project after some time?
Dont worry, this project will stay alive, no matter if somebody left, or if I dont much time, I will always return. This project runs for a year, this website about one month...

About your idea, good, but I'm not sure if its possible to make them more living, because it will need to edit that sprites, and its impossible to create new animations since we dont have original resources, like models, anims, textures and other stuff that is needed to create new anims.

Whats possible is to attach some new animations to sprites :D for example smoke from cigarettes/tobacco pipe, flies, singing and other misc anims you can imagine.

radzh
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by radzh » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:53 am

Morphie wrote:-Since you could modify the water to look more realistic, is there way to modify the NPC models (including players?) to look more 'living' I don't know some sort of animating or something? :P
Not with the original sprite system, probably. Those animated sprites can have 8 images only, so we'll have to implement more flexible animation system.

midiff

Post by midiff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:47 pm

wow..these is great! new stuff for arcanum.. i hope you implement all of those to make arcanum all new again.

Canageek
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by Canageek » Tue May 31, 2011 3:17 am

Fully destructible world should be low on the list I think: I've heard it is a pain to code & I'm not sure how must it is needed in a Black Isle style CRPG. I'm more interested in gameplay improvements: Easier map scrolling, pathfinding improvements, a minimap I can actually figure out (No, I can't figure out how to move it any direction but down-left), the ability to scroll the map away from your characters like in Balder's Gate, better AI or the ability to directly control NPCS (So that they don't always charge in), better in-game descriptions of spells & such. Better inventory management (A take all button in the followers screen would be nice).
--Canageek
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog! Settings and ideas abound. | I can also be found on twitter

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
- Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

SimonWins
Bunny
Bunny

Post by SimonWins » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm

First post for me, and may I say kudos on doing such a great job! I mean really, this is a huge project, and I really admire all that time you've spent on it. I hope you continue until the game is finished :)

In my opinion, the gameplay should always be in the first row. Improvements are always great, but be careful not to alter too many things, as people who originally played the game will feel like it's a totally different game. Which isn't really the idea, is it?

I think Canageek has some good suggestions, and I have to agree on the "destructible world" thing, I doesn't really belong in a game like Arcanum, and isn't really needed :)

What I would like to see is shared XP and shared quests if that would be possible in any way.

Positiff88
Bunny
Bunny

Post by Positiff88 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:50 am

If it's possible to modify moving and control system in the game? I mean what units should move smoother than in original Arcanum. It also will be really cool to have more control commands, for example, to move and attack nearest enemies. In original version, as I know, you do need to click on every monster you need to kill, which is hard to do if there is a crowd of them.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 am

Positiff88 wrote:If it's possible to modify moving and control system in the game? I mean what units should move smoother than in original Arcanum. It also will be really cool to have more control commands, for example, to move and attack nearest enemies. In original version, as I know, you do need to click on every monster you need to kill, which is hard to do if there is a crowd of them.
Greetings ;)

Yes, it's possible, but I'm not sure if it's needed. I can split every tile into 4 corners, and allow to NPCs to move at any of them, but it probably won't make the movement any smoother, as you expect. If you mean smoother animations, then yes, it's also possible, but all the animations have less than 30 frames per second, so it'll be quite hard to make them more smoother.

About the commands, yes, that's definitely possible, and will be implemented. In the OpenArcanum, there is already a powerful key binding system, where you can bind any key, to any command and lua script, so it won't be hard to implement such extended command set.

Cheers :drool:

Bia
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by Bia » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 pm

well i have been checking arcanum lately and i think it would be nice if we had more icons and better gui... what i dislike on arcaum is it uses same icons for many skills/disciplines, but that would require an artist :D