Content recreation? Anyone want to help?

Discuss anything that is related to OpenArcanum.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Content recreation? Anyone want to help?

Post by Crypton » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Heya! ;)

As you know guys, you will need original game, Arcanum, to play OpenArcanum, because of game content like Art, Sounds, Voices and as you know already, we cannot distribute that content with our new Engine because we don't own rights for that stuff, so only way how to distribute standalone game is to buy that rights to distribute that content, or recreate that content by ourself.

Because there are some ideas of recreating game content completely, which I think its impossible, I'm going to ask for your opinion :)

1) What do you think guys about recreating all game content? sounds, sprites ?
2) Dont you think that game will loose its atmosphere, especially when there will be different voice actors?
3) What if every Art will be remodelled to 3D mesh, will you play 3D version of Arcanum?

If you think that its possible, and you wanna help, can you offer to us your skills and experience? you can do anything you want, modelling, sound mixing, voice acting, whatever, you will be fully credited and taken as part of team.

If you recreate some content, please post that in this topic or this subforum as new topic :)

Thank you, I'm looking forward for your opinions, stuff and discussion about that.

radzh
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: Content recreation? Wanna help?

Post by radzh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:56 pm

I don't think it'll be possible in the near future: we still lack the tools needed - engine itself is one thing, editor suite is something very different.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:38 am

radzh wrote:I don't think it'll be possible in the near future: we still lack the tools needed - engine itself is one thing, editor suite is something very different.
Well, there is no extra tools needed, somebody could recreate those Art to models via 3DS Max or Blender, you just convert Art to blueprint, then you proofs that to 3D mesh, next comes animations which can be done via blueprints as well. Its of course not so easy, but for somebody whos skilled, it could be piece of cake :) I could try, still wondering if I still remember to work in 3DS Max :) (Its possible to create one lowpoly character, with few animations, good for start)

About other stuff, sounds replacement, is just searching in some free sound effect database, no need to mix that sounds by ourself. Voice can be cut off completely at beginning, subtitles are okey. ;) So all game content could be replaced, I still think that it wont be possible, because we dont have anybody who will take care for that, and I doubt that we will find somebody who will help us with that.
:?

Zeratchi

Post by Zeratchi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 am

Hello!

New here on the page. Member on "The House Of Lords" (terra-arcanum).

Saw your link about starting a new or remade Arcanum, and, if needed, I would be most honored to assist/help/be a part of it all.

I've done some of my own graphical designs, voice action, script and story writing.

Only wasted them on some other games, Arcanum mods, and my own planing of making a remade version of Arcanum.
I want Arcanum to stay the way it is.

BUT:

- I would also like some cleaner graphics.

- New and longer story.

- New sub-classes (and maybe some main)

- New Items

- Voice on most of the caracters/NPC's

And whatever kind of Ideas you/others may have (just as it doesn't go to far)

However:

I want the old and wonderful feeling to stay the same, so when changing the graphicals, voice and story, not to go to far away from it all.
Even tho it is a game from 2001, and we are now in the 2009 I wouldn't enjoy it all in a high graphical way like diablo 3 or such.
When talking about 3d, I wouldn't go much further than diablo 2 graph.

You understand my point anyhow.

If I would have it my own way, I wouldn't like this mass-sold(wouldn't mind it to be sold, but).
Thinking about the graphics, players today (most of them)
wants the highest possible graphics, and on a game such as Arcanum, I think it would lose the "Old time touch"
I want this game to be for those who adored the old Arcanum, and wants a new twist to it all.

I'm not saying that my idea is the best, or whatever, I'm just making a stand and a oppinion here.
If you are interrested on "having" me together with you in the "remaking/recreating" the old Arcanum, I would be honored.
However, if you are planing on making the "new Arcanum" in high graph, I don't want to be a part of it all.

I hope you understand my point in all, in the graphical way that is.

Any questions, just ask and we shall come to a understanding :)

Mvh. Ivan

Zeratchi

Post by Zeratchi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:58 am

*edit/add-on*

I don't mind if you want new classes and such, as long they are discussed.
The graphic part however, I'm very hard on.
But that can also be discussed!

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:32 pm

Hello!
Greetings! and welcome at forums :twisted:
Saw your link about starting a new or remade Arcanum, and, if needed, I would be most honored to assist/help/be a part of it all.
That would be really great if you will be able to help us, in any way, because we will need somebody in team who is interested in graphics, voice acting and so on... ;)
Only wasted them on some other games, Arcanum mods, and my own planing of making a remade version of Arcanum.
I want Arcanum to stay the way it is.
Our interests are same, we dont want to change atmosphere of Arcanum, just make new engine which will allow playing Arcanum as MMORPG, including original single and multiplayer of course... and if possible make own game content, so we could release OpenArcanum as standalone game.
- I would also like some cleaner graphics.

- New and longer story.

- New sub-classes (and maybe some main)

- New Items

- Voice on most of the caracters/NPC's
Whatever you want, its up to you, if you create a new item art, it will be in game, if you expand story somehow, it may be in game as well. We have decided to enchance arcanum some time ago, check out this page:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8

There will be two different singleplayer modes, one is original Arcanum, and second is enchanced Arcanum, with a lot of new content and functions.
I'm not saying that my idea is the best, or whatever, I'm just making a stand and a oppinion here.
If you are interrested on "having" me together with you in the "remaking/recreating" the old Arcanum, I would be honored.
However, if you are planing on making the "new Arcanum" in high graph, I don't want to be a part of it all.
If I understood, you want OpenArcanum to be same as old Arcanum, it means that it should be 2D game right? thats what I want too, OpenArcanum is and will be 2D game, look at videos and screenshots :) I'll be pleased if you help us, any help will be appreciated a lot...

We will need somebody who known 3D modelling, so we will render these models to 2D images which will be used in game, we cannot just create new art in photoshop for npc animations and so on :)
I hope you understand my point in all, in the graphical way that is.
I hope too, if now please let me know.

See you! :dance:

Zeratchi

Post by Zeratchi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 am

Splendid!

Like I said before, I would be most honored!

Anyway.
If you don't mind, I would like some personal info about you and the rest of the team.
Seen that if I'm going to work with/together/for you, I would like som knowledge about those I work with/together/for!
Stuff like

- How old are you (and the team)
- Where are you from?
And so forth.
(But you can just pm me, and I will answer)

So, you want to make Arcanum a mmorpg, with the same good old style.
And the new "remade" Arcanum with a newer graphical design/engine, did I get that right?

I like the idea alot!

In the "old" mmorpg Arcanum, are you going to keep everything the way it is, or are you going to do some new add-ons?
-New quest
-More items
-Maybe some few new skills
-Sub/main classes
-More voice acting
-Prolong the story a bit, or maybe give it some new twists, extra endings and treats

And so forth.

Just asking things I think is important.

Don't know if I got all of my questions down, but most of them anyway.

Are you using Ventrilo/teamspeak/skype or anything, if working together, would be a few things I would like to talk about personally.

Ivan.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 am

Anyway.
If you don't mind, I would like some personal info about you and the rest of the team.
Seen that if I'm going to work with/together/for you, I would like som knowledge about those I work with/together/for!
Stuff like

- How old are you (and the team)
- Where are you from?
And so forth.
(But you can just pm me, and I will answer)
Sure, why not, I'm gonna PM you that info today :)
So, you want to make Arcanum a mmorpg, with the same good old style.
And the new "remade" Arcanum with a newer graphical design/engine, did I get that right?

I like the idea alot!
Something like that, lets say that there will be two versions in one, one where you can play original arcanum, and second where you can play extended arcanum, with new items, extended story, new npc etc. :) so yes, its like you said.

In every version, you will be able to play single or multi player, plus it will be possible to play it as MMORPG.
In the "old" mmorpg Arcanum, are you going to keep everything the way it is, or are you going to do some new add-ons?
-New quest
-More items
-Maybe some few new skills
-Sub/main classes
-More voice acting
-Prolong the story a bit, or maybe give it some new twists, extra endings and treats

And so forth.

Just asking things I think is important.
Yep, these things will be in extended version, which could have a lot of new things and features, as long as it keeps Arcanumish theme and atmosphere :)
Are you using Ventrilo/teamspeak/skype or anything, if working together, would be a few things I would like to talk about personally.
None of these, sometimes I use ICQ or IRC to chat... In AA team, we are sending emails, its more appropriate because our English skills are not so good to chat in realtime I guess :) plus its more convenient because you dont need to hurry with response...