Who does what?

Discuss anything that is related to OpenArcanum.
Zeratchi
Kite Scout
Kite Scout

Who does what?

Post by Zeratchi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:27 am

Hello everyone!

I've been looking into the making of music, to the creation of modules/quests/living-npcs, and everything takes time and effort.
Some enjoy to work with coding, others to write story lines, but the reason for this topic, is who does what?

For a while, I was under the impression that there was only Crypton working on this project. (And I'm not sure who is a solid member of this)

So, without me saying to much, couldn't the ones who are actually working with something concerning Open/Enchanted Arcanum, that can benefit this project in any way, just write a short text about what you are actually doing.

It can range from creating:
Art
Code
Dialog
Music
Graphics
Story
Modules
Voices
Quests

If something is not listed, just write what you are doing. The reason for this, is to get a fair overview for what people (if any) are doing.
That way, we can assist each other, and brain-storm different views and ideas.
Last edited by Zeratchi on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria

Zeratchi
Kite Scout
Kite Scout

Re: Who does what?

Post by Zeratchi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 am

So, like I wrote on the text above, I've been working with a little of everything (concerning modules for the moment).
Coding, is something I would like to learn, but so far, there has not been all that much activity on the subject. (Interested in being a teacher? Haha!)

Anyway, I've been working on my own module, which I've added some 'scripts' concerning NPCs dialog, quests, making a simple inventory, trade/repair function.

Adding music, world-map, user-made schematics and blessings, is my soon to be.

As I've written in the help section before, I'm using Win7 Ultimate, and so, my WorldED is going super slow. (lucky me that it doesn't count for the scripting, since that is taking almost 80% of module creativity).

But to put what I do in perspective, I'm currently working with:
Dialog
Story
Quests
NPC life (try to avert them from being so stale in conversations)

And what I'm going to work with, after I got that other thing above 100% is:
Music
Blessings/curses
A functional world-map
Schematics - User-made items, that can be made from already existing objects/items.

I've probably got something else going on, but this was just a short run-through of whats happening from my view.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Zeratchi wrote:...who does what?
I have an answer for this question, but it won't please you: Nobody does nothing.

There's nobody except me, everyone "left", a long time ago. Sure, there are still a few fans that sometimes checks these forums for any news, but that's really all.
Zeratchi wrote:...there was only Crypton working on this project.
That's correct, was, and no longer is. A few months ago, I did announced at TA that this project is already abandoned, and probably will be canceled completely. It's better to move on, and start developing a new games, really.

However, if you really want to help to someone, the guys from Arcanum: Revolution project will surely welcome your skills. They're mostly Russians/Ukrainians, but they know English well, so don't worry about the language barrier. They're also very friendly and kind to strangers 8-)

Farewell, and good luck! ;)

Zeratchi
Kite Scout
Kite Scout

Post by Zeratchi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 pm

O.o

What the hell?
Are you saying that you have completely abandon to try and resurrect Arcanum, after all your hard work?
Ah man, no.. no.. noooooo!

But really, have you totally left the ways of Arcanum?
Crypton wrote:
Zeratchi wrote:...who does what?
I have an answer for this question, but it won't please you: Nobody does nothing.

There's nobody except me, everyone "left", a long time ago. Sure, there are still a few fans that sometimes checks these forums for any news, but that's really all.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Zeratchi wrote:What happen to Radzh and the others?
Radzh has left to start his own project, and now he's a lead developer of the Arcanum: Revolution project. Don't know anything about "the others". ;)
Zeratchi wrote:Are you saying that you have completely abandon to try and resurrect Arcanum, after all your hard work?
I'm sorry that I have to disappoint you, but I had to, and I really cannot continue with the development until I finish my business - I have to finish a university this year (i.e. finish up the bachelor thesis and pass the final exams), and then find a good job and own flat - in other words, get a life. :roll:

Also, my PC, where I was developing OpenArcanum, is broken. Motherboard, and two hard-drives are completely burned out. Luckily, I still have a backups on external drive, but unfortunately I don't have a PC, so it doesn't really matter. (I did tried to continue with development on my notebook, but it's too slow for that, so I stopped before I even started. :( )

Not to mention, I had to pay a school-fee, a vet for my old dog, medications and other stuff, then I had to left my part-time job, so I'm now out of caps atm. No new hardware until I finish my business.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't lost a motivation, it just got weaker after having a lots of personal problems and other stuff. Now I'm just fed up with everything, and I'm not in a mood for Arcanum or anything else.

About a future, I think that I might continue with the development one day, after I settle down, but not now.

Again, I'm really sorry :(

Zeratchi
Kite Scout
Kite Scout

Post by Zeratchi » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:50 am

I understand you mate, but I still think it's sad.
Just thinking of everything at the start, where you had these huge dreams of making Arcanum alive once again, people who wanted to support you.

And when you actually needed the assistance, their back was turned.
I'm to blame also, I just vanished after all, with a reason I haven't even explained in detail.

And you are obviously a really talented coder, and a good project leader!

Which is why I think the whole thing is a shame, since I really believed that if someone would do anything to make this game better, it would be you!

Anyway, good luck with everything! Playing and fixing games is just a small part of life, and I'll hope you do as well in regular life as you do in coding! ha ha :D

PS- If it were to happen, that you wanted to start this Arcanum project again, you better give some kind of shout! There will always people who wish to support you!
Last edited by Zeratchi on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

vleon
Bunny
Bunny

Post by vleon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:15 am

Hey i have been a passive follower of the project (passive since i didn't post anything in the forums so far), i have checked the status and new massages everyday, and probably missed the message where you said that you abandoned the project again.

I actually wanted to recreate the engine my self, with a FOSS license but since you had a project working i just followed and waited for you to release the code.

Now that it seems that you wont continue, can you please release the code to avoid duplications? i will gladly take over the stuff, as long as the time wont hold me (i am a student as well).

Thanks!

Canageek
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by Canageek » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 pm

I two would encourage you to release your code- Even if you just through it up on Sourceforge or Github and forget about it, someone might come along and work on it someday, or adapt it to a related game or such. One of those other projects you mentioned might be able to use it for example. You've done good work, it would be a shame to let that goto waste.
--Canageek
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog! Settings and ideas abound. | I can also be found on twitter

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
- Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

soshial
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by soshial » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am

Dear dev and other fans,

I'm very sad to hear these news. :( Unfortunately, I'm a passive follower of the project as well -- but I would have helped if I knew how.
You no matter what ought to share the code on Github!! Your "resignation" will definitely stimulate some people to continue what you have started.
Also an update on facebook would be great to tell people.
Me and my 3 fellow fans are 100% agree with that.
And we all support you! Good luck in all your life hardships!!

Koorac
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by Koorac » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:21 am

I agree, it would probably be a good idea to publish the code under an appropriate license.