Letters from the fields

Discussion related to general content.
Blaze656
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Letters from the fields

Post by Blaze656 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:24 pm

To my dearest Geoffrey; I hope this letter finds you well.

I have been on the road three days now and already I miss you, and regret leaving. A silly thing, we agreed to this parting for my career
but that knowledge ill serves as armour against regret now.
But I am on the course and it is too late…though perhaps should my researches prove successful I will return some time earlier!

On to something else…The six assistants Ms. Greesg hired from the local office are a shifty, unkempt lot though helpful in surprising ways;
loading our equipment and such was only the start of their duties it would seem: each night after finding a secluded camping site
they carefully extract the tents, foodstuffs, alarms and various sundries required for sleeping in the wilds and just as methodically replace it all
in exactly the same locations…such is their care that our two great wagons barely rattle during our journey, and in fact the whole short
procession is eerily quiet, with only conversation and birdsong to fill the void and perhaps the sound of leather wheels rolling on and on.

One younger man named Sean takes great pride in pouring my tea each morning and evening, taking care to arrange each tray neatly
in proper order.
I have found him glancing my way more than is usual, and fear I must replace my wedding band upon my finger to avert his attentions!
One would think the trousers and heavy coat would have been enough.

Though I fear not my traveling companions, the dark of the wildlands causes me to be glad I purchased a long revolver in the days before I left.
It is not of the quality I learned to shoot with but it is certainly solid and brings me some comfort pursuing sleep at night, loaded and under my pillow.

So strange that the silence would be as detrimental to my sleep as a loud and repetitive noise might be!

I shall write again,

All my love, Ann
Last edited by Blaze656 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blaze656
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Letters from the fields, 2

Post by Blaze656 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Dearest Geoffrey,

It has been two weeks and we near our destination. Our food had been running low, but thankfully the young man I wrote of earlier, Sean,
had grown up in the small Caladonian farming village of Iolt and knew much of hunting.
He has been enjoying the limelight immensely; he has been instructing the other assistants and myself in the ways of tracking and preparing carcasses for consumption.
Bloody, hateful work that is; but necessary for life to flourish. Also, I knew his accent was from somewhere foreign, but I simply could not place it.

Ms. Greesg has for the most part been a silent traveling partner; she remains aloof, eating and sleeping; occasionally giving out orders but for the most part she looks north towards the ruins we head for, the rolling green sea of hills between us and the broken black spires of Karthena; it is made from local shale you see:
Apparently each brick was too brittle to be used in a simple rectangular form thus large triangular slabs were necessary for it's construction, each piece resting diagonally upon it's neighbors.
But that hardly interests me; I plan on examining the flora that is said to grow from within the castle itself, with flowers of perfect, fragile ebony…imagine it Geoffrey!
Being able to breed the perfect black rose using genes from what must obviously be a magical plant!

Of note also: the grasses here seem at first glance to be your run-of-the-mill
Taeniatherum caput-medusae and Secale cereale, with maybe a few others mixed in...but upon closer inspection the veins of each leaf, the capilliaries of each stem are of a darker green than should be normal. I shall have one of the assistants unpack my portable laboratory tomorrow and shall begin examining a few samples with my tea.

Ms. Greesg says she is there to unearth relics but I have begun to have doubts. She does not behave as other treasure hunters do, even the ones in our group.
She is about the same age as some of the people she hired but while they carouse, trade and converse she merely gazes off into the distance or into the fire.
She is lost somewhere internal and never truly surfaces anymore, slipping further into herself as we get closer to our destination.
Her behaviour has begun to affect the others and they too have taken on a more sombre outlook.

All my love, Ann