[3D] Automaton gunner

Discussion related to graphic content.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

[3D] Automaton gunner

Post by Crypton » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:26 am

I've made an attachable cannon for automaton, material is kinda weird looking, it needs somethings simpler I guess, or textures, but here is some pics:

Hand cannon:

This was for warming up, now I'm going to remodel elephant gun and generic rifle :)

PS: Okey, here is 'some' rifle I just modeled, its my first rifle ever, so its kinda lame:

Rifle attached on automaton:

Minigun automaton:

Minigun automaton, second version:

Which one you think is better?:)

rroyo
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: [3D] Automaton gunner

Post by rroyo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:49 pm

OK -
The hand cannon looks - odd. It looks more like a plasma/pulse cannon than a projectile-firing device. Hang onto it though in case you decide to make a Tesla-based automaton.

The basic rifle is a bit too shiny. Even with the reworked graphics you're doing it would stand out. Otherwise, cut the back of the stock off, trim the end-ring away to leave a gun-sight, and I think you'd have a winner.

The mini-gunner - Yeah baby!
I like the like the looks of barrels in in the first picture and the cowling from the second.
The cowling could use rivets or perhaps an access panel to break up the surface and keep it from looking like a single piece of plastic, but otherwise it's great.
An after-thought - the supports in between the barrels could use a different color. Perhaps that dark brass used on the barrel-ends of the second picture?
If you can't go through a problem, go over it, under it, or around it.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:46 pm

The hand cannon looks - odd. It looks more like a plasma/pulse cannon than a projectile-firing device. Hang onto it though in case you decide to make a Tesla-based automaton.
Yep, its kinda plasma cannon :D First version looked like a black powder cannon, so I'll post pics from first version later if I find it, or I'll start new one, its not problem :) About tesla version, I'm going to edit whole automaton, not only hand, so I'm thinking about giving him a big battery instead of gas tanks, add some wires, glass bulbs, maybe some new armor, materials, etc.

I was thinking also about flamethrower and chainsaw automaton :)
The basic rifle is a bit too shiny. Even with the reworked graphics you're doing it would stand out. Otherwise, cut the back of the stock off, trim the end-ring away to leave a gun-sight, and I think you'd have a winner.
It was just a quick try, so its very simple rifle, about shininess and materials, its easy to adjust them :) I'll edit that will post pics later...
The mini-gunner - Yeah baby!
I like the like the looks of barrels in in the first picture and the cowling from the second.
The cowling could use rivets or perhaps an access panel to break up the surface and keep it from looking like a single piece of plastic, but otherwise it's great.
An after-thought - the supports in between the barrels could use a different color. Perhaps that dark brass used on the barrel-ends of the second picture?
I think that first version of minigun sucks completely, that's why I started second version, where most of time took me to model barells and mesh around it, that torso where is that support attached took me 5 mins :) so its not perfect, it really looks like a piece of plastic, and its too roundly, so I'll follow your suggestions and add that access panel or ammunition box, and change color of support.

Thank you for your suggestions, so do you know modeling right? so if I release these models, you might transform them by your vision? :) Its modeled in 3DS Max...

rroyo
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by rroyo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 pm

so do you know modeling right?
Not really. I been dinking around with Daz3D and Poser-based freebies to create some new artwork for my hack and public use, but it usually takes several tries to get something close enough to have potential.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:31 pm

rroyo wrote:
so do you know modeling right?
Not really. I been dinking around with Daz3D and Poser-based freebies to create some new artwork for my hack and public use, but it usually takes several tries to get something close enough to have potential.
Okey, but I'll release them one day anyway, so you better start learning 3DS Max or Blender :lol:

Oh, one offtopic thing, are you waiting for ArtGen? because it seems that you are the only one who's interested, so I rather ask before I continue working on that, because I'm thinking about canceling that and moving back to work on OpenArcanum.

rroyo
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by rroyo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:18 am

Oh, one offtopic thing, are you waiting for ArtGen?
As nice as it would be to have this, I'd say move it to the back burner and resume work on OpenArcanum. That's the important thing.

midiff

Post by midiff » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:12 am

lots of automaton gunner variations.nice..so that means that the automaton can be equipped with a gun or only one model will be used in the final? anyway,the minigun 2nd version is great. just a suggestion, why don't you create a model with both hands have guns rather than one or does the automaton use its normal hand for melee when enemies gets close? :D

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:50 am

rroyo wrote:As nice as it would be to have this, I'd say move it to the back burner and resume work on OpenArcanum. That's the important thing.
Thanks, so I'll move back to OpenArcanum, and I'll finish ArtGen when it will be needed :)
midiff wrote:lots of automaton gunner variations.nice..so that means that the automaton can be equipped with a gun or only one model will be used in the final? anyway,the minigun 2nd version is great. just a suggestion, why don't you create a model with both hands have guns rather than one or does the automaton use its normal hand for melee when enemies gets close? :D
Yep, there will be more automaton versions, not only one, about that 2 gun version, its because of melee attack.

midiff

Post by midiff » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:19 pm

hmm..im confused,the automaton uses it feet to attack in the video you posted and the automaton gunner uses its normal hand for attacking? why not put 2 guns on both hands and uses its feet to attack as melee for automaton gunner. well anyway its your call crypton, its just my opinion.. lolz..

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:22 pm

midiff wrote:hmm..im confused,the automaton uses it feet to attack in the video you posted and the automaton gunner uses its normal hand for attacking? why not put 2 guns on both hands and uses its feet to attack as melee for automaton gunner. well anyway its your call crypton, its just my opinion.. lolz..
In arcanum, there is 2 kinds of attack animations, hand and leg, so I should follow this system :) even when its not required.

About that kick animation, it was only for preview, in game, I'll need simple and loopable animations :)