[3D] Automaton prototype

Discussion related to graphic content.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

[3D] Automaton prototype

Post by Crypton » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:53 am

A three days ago, I’ve started learning modeling, and here is result, my attempt to remodel automaton from Arcanum.

Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNBF6kZNq_8[/youtube]

Sprite for game:

Not really original, its because I didn't knew that there is also a automaton image in inventory Art, which is pretty detailed, so my initial work has been based on slide image from Arcanum. Anyway, its biped based, so its possible to load any animation into it :)

If you wish give some feedback please :)

Digitalboy

Re: [3D] Automaton prototype

Post by Digitalboy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 am

nice one man ;) ! is it modeled in 3dsmax?

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Yep it is :) Thanks for comment! :lol:

rroyo
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by rroyo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:22 am

Do you have any plans for creating an automaton gunner?
If you can't go through a problem, go over it, under it, or around it.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:43 am

rroyo wrote:Do you have any plans for creating an automaton gunner?
Yep, but I'm not sure what gun, and where to attach it, I was thinking about minigun, or some one hand gun attached under his left hand. I was also thinking about giving him sword, or attach some blade.

Do you have any ideas? I'll post some images later...

rroyo
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by rroyo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Well, in the stock game, the automaton gunner used an elephant gun. When Maximus managed to get a cobbled-together version working a couple years ago, I was quite satisfied with the amount of damage that it could deliver. Oh - And it used a single-handed shot sequence.
I've still got the files if you'd like to check it out.

In the meantime, I'd say stick with the elephant gun but use your automaton because it looks sturdier than I remember Arcanum's being.

A mini-gun automaton? Cool image, but serious over-kill. Perhaps one that throws bolts of electricity instead?

Also - The standard automatons already use a slashing attack from the claws they have, so adding a bladed mech seems a bit redundant to me.

Another thing - What about making the automatons' inventory usable but without them being able to equip non-essentials like boots, rings, etc. and being poisoned.
The mechs are fast enough to be able to join in a battle and strong enough to carry a decent load while doing so, but if you undo the "Is Mechanical" flag, you get all these unwanted side effects because the game now treats the mech as flesh.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:06 am

Well, in the stock game, the automaton gunner used an elephant gun. When Maximus managed to get a cobbled-together version working a couple years ago, I was quite satisfied with the amount of damage that it could deliver. Oh - And it used a single-handed shot sequence.
I've still got the files if you'd like to check it out.
Hmm, interesting, elephant gun :) Yes, I would like to check it out :dance:
In the meantime, I'd say stick with the elephant gun but use your automaton because it looks sturdier than I remember Arcanum's being.
Okey, so I'll start modeling a elephant gun first, I can shrink that automaton, completely or any part.
A mini-gun automaton? Cool image, but serious over-kill. Perhaps one that throws bolts of electricity instead?

Also - The standard automatons already use a slashing attack from the claws they have, so adding a bladed mech seems a bit redundant to me.
I see, so I will stick with that elephant gun :) Next idea, what about a small cannon instead of hand?:D
Another thing - What about making the automatons' inventory usable but without them being able to equip non-essentials like boots, rings, etc. and being poisoned.
The mechs are fast enough to be able to join in a battle and strong enough to carry a decent load while doing so, but if you undo the "Is Mechanical" flag, you get all these unwanted side effects because the game now treats the mech as flesh.
Oh, this would require 'some' editing of Arcanum executable I guess, I think that its possible, but I have not so much time to search for days in Arcanum executable for every function and opcode that will be needed to patch to make it working. Maybe later :)

rroyo
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by rroyo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:12 am

1) Maximus' automaton gunner files. Here ya go:

http://rapidshare.com/files/299463771/a ... gunner.zip

2)
Next idea, what about a small cannon instead of hand?

That's the way I always imagined the mech. One arm ends with a large rifle barrel attached at the end of the forearm while the other arm retains a claw in case the mech runs out of ammo. So yes, the small cannon would be well in keeping with such a creation.

A thought just hit me - The mini-gun automaton - have a schematic hidden in Vendigroth that uses the automaton gunner and a mechanized gun to create this upgrade. This would put the thing late enough in the game to help offset the over-kill factor - I think.... Keep the damage from the elephant gun but add the six bullets per round cost of the mechanized gun. You'd have a Gatling Gun on legs.

3) The inventory option: Not a problem. It's one of those "wouldn't-it-be-nice-if" items, to be sure.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:00 am

1) Maximus' automaton gunner files. Here ya go:

http://rapidshare.com/files/299463771/a ... gunner.zip
Thank you, so its downloaded :)
2)
Next idea, what about a small cannon instead of hand?

That's the way I always imagined the mech. One arm ends with a large rifle barrel attached at the end of the forearm while the other arm retains a claw in case the mech runs out of ammo. So yes, the small cannon would be well in keeping with such a creation.

A thought just hit me - The mini-gun automaton - have a schematic hidden in Vendigroth that uses the automaton gunner and a mechanized gun to create this upgrade. This would put the thing late enough in the game to help offset the over-kill factor - I think.... Keep the damage from the elephant gun but add the six bullets per round cost of the mechanized gun. You'd have a Gatling Gun on legs.
Interesting idea, that schematic, I was thinking about placing new items in game by some tool, I can for example make a seeder tool, that will seed new items, critters, etc into maps randomly or by some conditions, for example -> if (foundcritter.alignment <= 50) or (foundcritter.faction = "Monster Set1") then place new automaton to nearby found object. Its just example, there could be many conditions.

I can make this tool, but I dont know if its wanted :)
3) The inventory option: Not a problem. It's one of those "wouldn't-it-be-nice-if" items, to be sure.
I see, I will check this idea later, if I can do something with that, maybe it wont so hard, and I can refresh my assembler and debugging skills :)

rroyo
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by rroyo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:03 pm

[I can for example make a seeder tool, that will seed new items, critters, etc into maps randomly or by some conditions, for example -> if (foundcritter.alignment <= 50) or (foundcritter.faction = "Monster Set1") then place new automaton to nearby found object.
Although this seeder is a cool idea, in a way, this already exists. During random encounters especially, a bit of scripting creates some herb or another close to where the attackers are. Might be able to save yourself some work by simply modifying that.

Also, scripting tiles with the checks in place -
1: IF faction = Monster Set 1
THEN toggle attachee (chest with special loot or new critter) on/off
ELSE do nothing
2:Return and SKIP default

A crude example but you get the idea.