Misc OpenArcanum graphics

Discussion related to graphic content.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Misc OpenArcanum graphics

Post by Crypton » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I'll be posting in this topic a misc images that I've created so far for the OpenArcanum. Let me know if you have any suggestions and ideas, they are greatly welcomed. And please feel free to post here your creations as well.

Splashscreens and icons:

Banners and signatures:

Engine logos:

soshial
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: Misc OpenArcanum graphics

Post by soshial » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 am

* oa_splashscreen.png - I did like the idea of the image, but the fonts is not very good (upper is bad, lower is OK): it should be more similar to Arcanum ones. Also, wooden wheel seems a bit wierd. And I would make red magic to occupy more place in the image.
* oa_splashscreen2.png - too mechanistic and contemporary, doesn't look like steamounk image
* oa_bar_big_train.png, oa_bar_big_plane.png - this are very good!! but the edging definitively should not be blue
* oa_logo_gear.png - i like it

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:58 pm

soshial wrote:* oa_splashscreen.png - I did like the idea of the image, but the fonts is not very good (upper is bad, lower is OK): it should be more similar to Arcanum ones. Also, wooden wheel seems a bit wierd. And I would make red magic to occupy more place in the image.
* oa_splashscreen2.png - too mechanistic and contemporary, doesn't look like steamounk image
* oa_bar_big_train.png, oa_bar_big_plane.png - this are very good!! but the edging definitively should not be blue
* oa_logo_gear.png - i like it
Thanks for the feedback!

About the first image, there is no wood, that texture is supposed to be a dirty gold/copper-ish material :) I do agree that the headline font doesn't look really good, but it's the most steampunkish font I found (it's called Steamwreck). It normally looks good, but after I bended the text, it became distorted.

Here's another try, hope it looks better:

I've twiddled with the top font for about an hour, and I can say that it's pretty hard to pick a right font that would fit there. I don't want to use the Morpheus font everywhere, so I had to look for some brand new font. If you know any font that you think that would be great to use, let me know.

And yes, the rest of the images sucks. I'll have to tweak them later. ;)

soshial
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by soshial » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Not all of them suck! I really liked the banner/signature ones! Just their edgings color need to be tweaked! :)

And now the upper inscription font ("OpenArcanum" word) looks very good! I like it very much!!)
By the way, why didn't you write the full name: "of steamworks and magick obscura"?
I have an idea! We can write "steamworks" using some technology font and "magick obscura" as in the upper inscription ("OpenArcanum")! What do you think of it?

Also, I think you should lower the overall brightness of the image, because too much brightness looks out of tune with Arcanum low-brightness atmosphere.

I wonder, what do you think about my opinions :)

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks! Here's another try:

I've changed the bottom text and make the image a bit darker. I don't want to make it too much dark, as there is a magic whirl inside and it should make you feel like it's glowing at you :D

This is my last attempt for today. I do have to finish the game first, so I can actually use these images. ;) Cheers!

soshial
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by soshial » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Yes! This is very close to what I was talking about! :)

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks! Do you like that font I have used in word Steamworks? I like the font, but I'm not sure that it's the right place where to use it.

About the colors, is it still too bright? Do you have any other suggestions or ideas :?: If you do, let me know.

Zeratchi
Kite Scout
Kite Scout

Post by Zeratchi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 pm

I think that all of these are pretty awesome, especially the banners and signatures.

Concerning the 'splashscreen' am I the only one who thinks that there is a slight overuse in colors?
Arcanum has this old/rustic/classic kind of style - And instead of a pitch-black background, maybe use a bit more rustic like this one (Just a example).

If I get the time, I'll also try and make something tonight.
Btw, does it have to be a cogwheel, or can it be anything steampunk(y)/magical?

EDIT:

Is it to oldish to modify the classic?

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria

Zeratchi
Kite Scout
Kite Scout

Post by Zeratchi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Ah, look at this one, some random I found on the web -

Smooth, clean and shows both tech and magic :D

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria

soshial
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by soshial » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 am

Zeratachi is 100% right. But I'm no designer - I don't know, how to put your idea into the image :( But I would... if I could. Let's see what Crypton thinks about it.