Discussion related to graphic content.
Coin Donator
Ailing Wolf
Coin Donator
Ailing Wolf

Re: New GUI - Preview

Postby NeOn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:12 am

But it would be desirable to offer a couple of things:
- It might be better to remove the images of objects from the panel. (I mean the compass and tool kit)
- Swap the button "shield" and button "magic".
- Replace the image of an atom to something more appropriate for steampunk.

And these screws are great.

P.S. You have not forgot about it:
Image?

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm

rist9 wrote:The Wood texture looks better than the previous one.

The upper panel, its asymetric. It would be better to somehow place everything in a way that it retains the symetry it had or it aquires a new kind of symetry.

Thanks for the feedback! However, I'm not sure if I get the symmetry part... what exactly do you want me to change in the top panel? ;)

NeOn wrote:But it would be desirable to offer a couple of things:
- It might be better to remove the images of objects from the panel. (I mean the compass and tool kit)
- Swap the button "shield" and button "magic".
- Replace the image of an atom to something more appropriate for steampunk.

And these screws are great.

P.S. You have not forgot about it:
Image?

Thank you as well! :) I'll try to tweak it a bit today, and I'll definitely try your recommendations. ;)

P.S. If I forgot? I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean the timeline image, then it's there. Maybe you want to remind me that it's actually moving? :)

Bunny
Bunny

Postby rist9 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Pff... how to explain symetry.

Well I dunno, here is a simple example I guess:

_--_--_ (this is symetric)

-_--_- (also symetric)

-__--- (asymetric)

In the first two you could draw a line in the middle of it and the two sides align well.

You could very well say that the lower part of the interface is symetric aswell. You can draw a line in the middle and you can see many things line up. Like 5 quickbar spaces on either side. Health and fatigue bar on either side. There are things that create the feel of symetry.
The upper piece of the interface doesn't have symetry. The original had symetry. A way how it was in the original was that the third active spell or buff spot was in the middle. More or less, the elements on either side of the middle were in balance. Currently your version isn't in balance.
I'm not sure how to go about placing everything to make it symetric. But it would look more balanced if it had symetry. Sometimes the symetry thing must be forgotten as in some kinds of games, there is the thing called a minimap, and that take up a lot of the room. Its unwise and hard to find something to balance that minimap. But unless there is a clear reasoning why symetry is lost, then it should be atleast tried to be kept.

Now that I think of it, then a possibility to attain symetry in this again would be to move the blue magicy decoration to the far right to balance out the gear on the far left. The buff or spell bar should essentially fall into the middle and everything should line up a bit more this way. Not too sure if this will make it line up perfectly, but atleast it would be a startingpoint to create more balance.

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 pm

rist9 wrote:Pff... how to explain symetry.

Well I dunno, here is a simple example I guess:

_--_--_ (this is symetric)

-_--_- (also symetric)

-__--- (asymetric)

In the first two you could draw a line in the middle of it and the two sides align well.

You could very well say that the lower part of the interface is symetric aswell. You can draw a line in the middle and you can see many things line up. Like 5 quickbar spaces on either side. Health and fatigue bar on either side. There are things that create the feel of symetry.
The upper piece of the interface doesn't have symetry. The original had symetry. A way how it was in the original was that the third active spell or buff spot was in the middle. More or less, the elements on either side of the middle were in balance. Currently your version isn't in balance.
I'm not sure how to go about placing everything to make it symetric. But it would look more balanced if it had symetry. Sometimes the symetry thing must be forgotten as in some kinds of games, there is the thing called a minimap, and that take up a lot of the room. Its unwise and hard to find something to balance that minimap. But unless there is a clear reasoning why symetry is lost, then it should be atleast tried to be kept.

Now that I think of it, then a possibility to attain symetry in this again would be to move the blue magicy decoration to the far right to balance out the gear on the far left. The buff or spell bar should essentially fall into the middle and everything should line up a bit more this way. Not too sure if this will make it line up perfectly, but atleast it would be a startingpoint to create more balance.

Huh, I already know what symmetry is! :) I didn't know what things you wanted me to change exactly, plus I was also confused about the "new kind of symmetry" part, but you just explained it. ;) Thanks! I'll have a look at it.

Bunny
Bunny

Postby rist9 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:25 am

Oh, oki...^^

Just to be sure, under "new kind of symetry" I meant creating a symetry that wasn't in the original layout.

Bunny
Bunny

Postby rist9 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am

Oh, and I had this idea what could be added to the GUI. A way to cast spells on yourself better. I always found it simpler to cast spells though the icons on the followers, but the player never had any Icon.
This idea is still pretty raw and I'm just throwing it out for use at will... But A good place I imagined spells could be cast upon onseself would be the crystal ball in the middle. Maybe that spot could instead house a small portrait of the player character. Just random ideas.... ^^

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 am

rist9 wrote:Oh, and I had this idea what could be added to the GUI. A way to cast spells on yourself better. I always found it simpler to cast spells though the icons on the followers, but the player never had any Icon.
This idea is still pretty raw and I'm just throwing it out for use at will... But A good place I imagined spells could be cast upon onseself would be the crystal ball in the middle. Maybe that spot could instead house a small portrait of the player character. Just random ideas.... ^^

That's a good idea! But that crystal ball stays where it is! I already added there a several eye-candy effects (e.g. light, fire, water gfx) that will trigger at certain events :) What about right mouse click? You can cast any spell on yourself just by right-clicking on the spell icon. That would be faster. :think:

Edit: Wow, my 333th post... I'm half evil. :twisted:

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:03 am

Okay, here is quick preview (work in progress):

I changed the health and fatigue bars, then I replaced the atomic symbol, and put there some misc objects, so it might be easier to get some ideas.

Edit: Changed the bars again, should look better this time:

Coin Donator
Ailing Wolf
Coin Donator
Ailing Wolf

Postby NeOn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:26 am

Crypton wrote:P.S. If I forgot? I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean the timeline image, then it's there. Maybe you want to remind me that it's actually moving? :)

No, I mean:

It's just a line that crawls from left to right:

Oh God! This is a real rotating drum!
Feel the difference :P

UPD Maybe that?

At the atomic symbol was a wonderful palette, may be better to use it to paint Arcanum's logo under the buttons?
Last edited by NeOn on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:40 am

Oh, got it! :) But your rotating version seems to look uglier than the original, because it's deformed. Don't you think so?:)

PreviousNext

Return to Graphics Content