New GUI - Preview

Discussion related to graphic content.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

New GUI - Preview

Post by Crypton » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:49 am

In previous two topics about GUI, I shown you prototypes of specific areas of gameplay window. Now its time to show you everything merged into one picture, so you can get an idea how exactly it will look like in game.

(click on the picture to see it in original resolution)

As you can see, a middle sections of original GUI are going to be converted into MDI windows.

The top panel still needs to be tweaked I think, so later, I'll post second version, but first I'll wait for your suggestions and feedback, so I can find out what to change exactly.

;)

Koorac
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: GUI - Preview

Post by Koorac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Looks good however I'm not sure whether OpenArcanum should be on both the top and the bottom panel.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Koorac wrote:Looks good however I'm not sure whether OpenArcanum should be on both the top and the bottom panel.
Oh, yeah, that one below is going to be removed in final, I have my reasons why to put that caption at bottom panel as well. Any other suggestions? What about that MDI window in middle? change colors? The frame and background should be simple color, or seamless texture, so I can use that style to any window size, so making it looking good will be a bit tricky, I think.

Koorac
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by Koorac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:37 pm

IMO the middle is fine for now, more polishing there can be done once the game is playable.
I'd focus more on the visually boring backgrounds stuff ;)

Pixote
Bunny
Bunny

Post by Pixote » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:22 am

Hi Crypton

I just signed on to OpenArcanum Forums...and I might be of some assistance with your design.

One feature I alway found annoying about Arcanum was the size of the interface, and how it blocked a good portion of the screen. So my suggestion is - the smaller the better, within reason of course.

Before you beautify the panels, you should perfect the layout first - the top panel should be as small as possible, without interfering with its basic function. Are the buttons restricted to a particular location, or do you have the flexibility to move them around?

I would consider de-saturating the panel - the less colour the better. Here is a quick example I put together. Of course I don't know the mechanics of the game, so the layout might be rubbish (it's only a mock up), but it's just an idea I thought I would throw your way. ;) Nice work by the way...

Canageek
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by Canageek » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:03 pm

I do like the new, smaller version myself.
--Canageek
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog! Settings and ideas abound. | I can also be found on twitter

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
- Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Pixote
Bunny
Bunny

Post by Pixote » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 am

Can the buttons be resized - smaller, including the spell icons - I just think a minimal interface would be a better experience for the player (less interface = more gaming world ;) ), unless you can make two versions. The normal full interface panel and a smaller (minimal) - and switch between them with a hot key.

@Crypton - I salute you...this project is excellent.

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:29 am

Pixote wrote:Hi Crypton
Hello, and welcome to our forums ;)
Pixote wrote:...I might be of some assistance with your design.
That would be great!
Pixote wrote:One feature I alway found annoying about Arcanum was the size of the interface, and how it blocked a good portion of the screen. So my suggestion is - the smaller the better, within reason of course.
Me too, because the game view area is very small, 800x400 pixels, and remaining 200 pixels (in height) is filled with GUI.
The OpenArcanum is not limited to screen resolution and its not fixed to 800x600 either, so I designed a bigger GUI because resolution of my screen is always at least 1024x768 pixels.
Pixote wrote:Before you beautify the panels, you should perfect the layout first - the top panel should be as small as possible, without interfering with its basic function. Are the buttons restricted to a particular location, or do you have the flexibility to move them around?
Well, about that minimalism idea, its kinda hard to achieve, because the new gui must have same controls as original gui, so there is almost no space for minimalism. Also, the original gui is already minimalistic, I think. Have you ever played Arcanum with high-resolution patch applied? It's not so annoying with it. About these buttons, position isn't fixed.
Pixote wrote:I would consider de-saturating the panel - the less colour the better. Here is a quick example I put together. Of course I don't know the mechanics of the game, so the layout might be rubbish (it's only a mock up), but it's just an idea I thought I would throw your way.
I admit that it looks a bit too much colorful. I'll try to tweak the colors and match them with the original gui palette. Your layout looks nice, however you cropped out some controls :)

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try use them while making a new gui prototype.

P.S.
Pixote wrote:Can the buttons be resized - smaller, including the spell icons - I just think a minimal interface would be a better experience for the player (less interface = more gaming world ;) ), unless you can make two versions. The normal full interface panel and a smaller (minimal) - and switch between them with a hot key.
Very good idea with that two versions - minimalistic and normal. It would be a great addition to Koorac's idea of dynamically changed gui by player's alignment. Thanks :twisted:

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Tiny update: It's been more than a year since the last preview, and unfortunately, the works on the new interface has stagnated since then. However, I did some polishing today, and here are the results:

(click on the picture to see it in original resolution)

Changes:
-Removed statues and light bulbs from the bottom
-Changed the wood texture that was used on the background of the GUI panels. Now there is original wood texture from Arcanum, so it matches with the rest of the original GUI graphics.
-Tweaked colors & removed some shadows, to make it look more "clean".
-I also moved the "shield" button from left to right side, as it seems that it fits there better.

How does it look? Better, or worse than previous "attempt"? What about the wood texture? Better? I can still revert those changes, just tell me what changes you don't like.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions! ;)

rist9
Bunny
Bunny

Re: New GUI - Preview

Post by rist9 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:48 pm

The Wood texture looks better than the previous one.

The upper panel, its asymetric. It would be better to somehow place everything in a way that it retains the symetry it had or it aquires a new kind of symetry.