World Map - High quality and lossless [Updated]

Discussion related to graphic content.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

World Map - High quality and lossless [Updated]

Post by Crypton » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 pm

I was searching for high quality World Map image which I could use as texture in OpenArcanum. I did not found anything usable, everything I found was original World Map jpeg image released by Sierra, but in different resolutions than is original World Map image (2000x2000). (Plus jpeg is lossy, and doesn't look good in game)

So I decided to merge original WorldMap by myself, because those 250x250 image blocks that comes with Arcanum are pretty useless for textures (non power of two = waste of space).

Also I made a second, visually better, version of World Map. The aim of second version was to fix glitches cause by color quantization (palette).

There is also DDS texture of World Map I made for use in OpenArcanum. Its compressed by "The Compressonator" tool, so its pretty good quality (DXT1c compression).

I'm going to release it here, so nobody else need do that dirty job ever again...

Download (10MB): (Including original WorldMap image in PNG format + texture)

Enhanced/Original - It doesn't look only more yellowish, does it?! :)

Pixote
Bunny
Bunny

Re: World Map - High quality, including textures...

Post by Pixote » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:40 am

I think the original has more "charm", as they say. With the texture blended into the surface, it gives the appearance that the map is made from cloth. The first version is slightly too yellow. But the best test would be to check it in game, is that possible?

Canageek
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Post by Canageek » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeah, I hate to say it but the yellow kinda bugs me as well. Also the original looks...crisper? The new one looks kinda blurred.
--Canageek
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog! Settings and ideas abound. | I can also be found on twitter

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
- Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:06 pm

It's okay to say it, because you are both right, the enhanced version sucks, it was edited quickly, so I'll use original version in OpenArcanum instead. I'll remove that from download archive as well. Thank you for your feedback.

If you want, you might try to edit original worldmap and post results here, and if it will looks better than original, we might use it in OpenArcanum.

Have a nice day ;)

Canageek
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: World Map - High quality and lossless [Updated]

Post by Canageek » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Sorry my first post was such a downer.
--Canageek
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog! Settings and ideas abound. | I can also be found on twitter

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."

Canageek
Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: World Map - High quality and lossless [Updated]

Post by Canageek » Tue May 31, 2011 4:07 am

Are you just sticking the bits together and saving it? I can try my hand at that, paint.NET is usually pretty good for saving well and such. Where do I can the files from? I don't see them in the install directory.
--Canageek