Register

ArtGen v0.1 - Arcanum Art Creator

Discuss anything that is related to ArcanumAlive project.
Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

ArtGen v0.1 - Arcanum Art Creator

Postby Crypton » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Hohoho,

Here is promised tool ArtGen for creating Art files which can be used in Arcanum :)

Screenshot:

Features:
-Automatic frames loading from folder by given filename format.
-Loading frames from image formats *.bmp, *.jpg, *.png.
-Support for both static and rotable art.
-Calculating of bounding rectangle.
-Transparent color support.
-Frame rate editing (FPS).
-Setting collision frame.
-Stage and frame editing.
-Frame preview.

How to create simple Art:
1) Start ArtGen
2) Go to "Stage Edit" box and click on "New" button, click on this stage with left mouse.
3) Go to "Frame Edit" box and click on "New" button, click on this frame with left mouse, then click on "Browse" button and select image, then click on "Load" button.
4) Go to "Generate" box and click on "Browse" button, click on "Start" button.

For what it is:
-Static type: Its most common Art which has frames rendered only from one cardinal direction, south, so its not possible to rotate this Art.

-Rotatable type: Its Art which has frames rendered from every (8) cardinal directions, so it critters, monsters, unique npc, but it can be also scenery and others.

-Apply bound rectangle: It filter which will delete all unneeded pixels from background, this filter is applied on every Art in Arcanum.

-Apply transparency: It will make selected color transparent, pick button will fill RGB with color of top left pixel.

-Frame rate: Its speed of animation, by default its zero, if you are creating some animation, you should set this on some nonzero value.

-Hit frame: Its frame index for animation where object collides with another object, for example critters when they attack with sword, its important to know which frame is frame that hits another NPC.

-Palette count: Number of palettes that will be saved into generated Art, every palette is same, and main purpose is to allow easily adding new palettes only by changing colors of already saved palettes.

Changelog:

Version 0.1:
-First version, bite me! :D

Download:

Version 0.1 - Windows:
--><--

Please report any bugs here, any ideas and comments are welcomed :)

Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: ArtGen v0.1 - Arcanum Art Creator

Postby rroyo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:00 am

I finally found a few minutes to check this out today. (Really! busy weekend...)

First off - The conversion sequence took a little getting used to. On the third try I got it right and was rewarded with a usable piece of .art. I could easily get used to this.
This does indeed have real potential of being what the Arcanum modder has been needing all this time. Nice!

On the other hand, there are some things that are lacking which would really benefit the user.

1) Include the full operation instructions in a drop-down menu. You could always call it Help. (Truth in advertising)

2) Have the program remember the last path taken.
If you need to reset then you are faced with going back through the various branches to reach the target file - ie: For the first effort, your source file happens to be in C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Games\ArcanumArt\NewArt\, that's fine - unless you mess up and need to reset, which means you make your way through that entire sequence of folders again.

3) Automatic display of the picture you are converting.
I wasn't able to get the BMP pic to show until I had successfully converted it to .art, then clicked the Apply button on the Utils area again. Perhaps I did something wrong but still got what I wanted?

I think I'll stop here for the time being. Hope this helps, because I'm really looking forward to a hassle-free way of adding quality artwork without needing a dozen different programs to do so.
If you can't go through a problem, go over it, under it, or around it.

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 am

I finally found a few minutes to check this out today. (Really! busy weekend...)

Thank you, I really appreciate that you found some free time to test it and give back some feedback ;)

First off - The conversion sequence took a little getting used to. On the third try I got it right and was rewarded with a usable piece of .art. I could easily get used to this.
This does indeed have real potential of being what the Arcanum modder has been needing all this time. Nice!

I guess that GUI is not much user friendly, so its not easy to create Art file without reading "How to create a simple Art?" section above, I could fix that later :)

On the other hand, there are some things that are lacking which would really benefit the user.

I'll see what I can do :)

1) Include the full operation instructions in a drop-down menu. You could always call it Help. (Truth in advertising)

Good idea, I'll add some help section, add some tool-tips or balloons, etc.

2) Have the program remember the last path taken.
If you need to reset then you are faced with going back through the various branches to reach the target file - ie: For the first effort, your source file happens to be in C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Games\ArcanumArt\NewArt\, that's fine - unless you mess up and need to reset, which means you make your way through that entire sequence of folders again.

I'll add some config file, and also I'll force that browse dialogs to remember last browsed path, I knew about it and I was just lazy, I confess :)

3) Automatic display of the picture you are converting.
I wasn't able to get the BMP pic to show until I had successfully converted it to .art, then clicked the Apply button on the Utils area again. Perhaps I did something wrong but still got what I wanted?

When you create new frame, then you load image into it, and then you click on this frame in view, preview image should appear. I will check this, maybe I forgot to call to update it....

I think I'll stop here for the time being. Hope this helps, because I'm really looking forward to a hassle-free way of adding quality artwork without needing a dozen different programs to do so.

Thanks again, any feedback helps, I hope this tool will help you and others to create new Art for Arcanum faster and in more convenient way :)

Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Postby rroyo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:09 pm

OK - Being home sick for three days gave me plenty of opportunity to put ArtGen through its paces, and God Damn! am I glad you made this!

No more fighting with color loss due to conversion to 8-bit BMP? I'm not going to know what to do with myself. :lol:

Since I currently have no new requests or bugs to comment on, I'll just say Thank You! one more time.
If you can't go through a problem, go over it, under it, or around it.

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:15 pm

rroyo wrote:OK - Being home sick for three days gave me plenty of opportunity to put ArtGen through its paces, and God Damn! am I glad you made this!

No more fighting with color loss due to conversion to 8-bit BMP? I'm not going to know what to do with myself. :lol:

Since I currently have no new requests or bugs to comment on, I'll just say Thank You! one more time.

I'm happy to help :D

ArtGen creates one palette from all images :) so color loss is minimal, but still depends on number of unique colors found in them...

These images can be of any format and depth, but they are converted into 32 bit ARGB format while loading, so I recommend saving your images into 32 bit png, so loading into ArtGen is faster and no need of pixel conversion, and then pixels are copied into octree color quantizer, where are colors reduced to 256 color palette, then this palette and color indices are fixed, because art palette must have first color transparent, and then Art is generated :)

See you, wish you get well soon...

:dance:

Bunny
Bunny

Postby Wims » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi Crypton !

I am still making my mod (I made a post on Terra Arcanum Forum). A huge thank you for creating ArtGen. I've just figured out how to use it and my first creation is a chest that can be opened - which changes its ART when opened - from existing ART I found.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/screenshots/images/00002/00002837_001.htm

You can noticed that the player has a purple robe on this screenshot. I have something about about palettes on ArtGen but I don't rellay get it... Do you thing that it would be possible to "restore" the purple robe by adding all frames of PC wearing a robe and changing the palette on ArtGen then generating those frames once again with a purple robe ?

Hope my question is clear because I'm not sure I explained myself enough...

Thank you !

- Wim's

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:01 am

Wims wrote:Hi Crypton !

I am still making my mod (I made a post on Terra Arcanum Forum). A huge thank you for creating ArtGen. I've just figured out how to use it and my first creation is a chest that can be opened - which changes its ART when opened - from existing ART I found.

Greetings! I'm glad you're still working on it!

Wims wrote:http://www.jeuxvideo.com/screenshots/images/00002/00002837_001.htm

You can noticed that the player has a purple robe on this screenshot. I have something about about palettes on ArtGen but I don't rellay get it... Do you thing that it would be possible to "restore" the purple robe by adding all frames of PC wearing a robe and changing the palette on ArtGen then generating those frames once again with a purple robe ?

The ArtGen is only able to generate new art files from given bitmaps. If you want to change something in existing art file, you must extract the bitmaps from the file by using ArtView, then you change the images in graphics editor, and then regenerate the art file with ArtGen.

That's one way. If I remember correctly, qtScribe provides a way how to change palette's colors without need to regenerate the art file. But you better check it out by yourself: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=54

If it don't work, you could also try to change the palette's colors via hex editor. It's really easy.

About the purple robe, AFAIR, it's been already restored in the ArcanumBeta v1.0 pack. Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=123&p=524

Cheers ;)

Bunny
Bunny

Postby Wims » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:37 am

Thank you for your response !

I have actually download the beta restoration pack yesterday ! I just don't get how/where to add the files to get this awesome purple robe...

Could you help me ?

Your tools are great. I have qtScribe and I'll take a look about the palette. Buty I must confess I am mainly intereted on that purple robe !

Thanks !

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 am

Wims wrote:Thank you for your response !

I have actually download the beta restoration pack yesterday ! I just don't get how/where to add the files to get this awesome purple robe...

Could you help me ?

Your tools are great. I have qtScribe and I'll take a look about the palette. Buty I must confess I am mainly intereted on that purple robe !

Thanks !

In the beta version (i.e the screenshot), they were using different robe colors than in final game. They are restored in the beta pack, so after you install it, they should be seen in game.

Try to put on any robe, and then try to walk or do some other action, they should change it's colors :)

Anyway, if you want to get the art files for the robes, try to unpack the .dat archives that came from the beta pack (AFAIR, it's ArcanumBeta1.dat, ArcanumBeta2.dat), and then look into folder "art/critter/". There should be plenty of art files, which can be previewed by using ArtView.

Hope it helps. Let me know about your progress.

Bunny
Bunny

Postby Wims » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:32 am

OK, the fact is that I'm not sure where to put the .dat files so I put both in the main Arcanum folder and in the modules folder (where I already put the WIP .dat Arcanumpatch01 and 02). Or maybe I misput .dat files ?

I have not seen any purple robe in the restored ART files with Artview. Are you sure you restored frames with the purple robe ?

I tried ingame but didn't notice any change regarding robes.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you very much !

Next

Return to Project Discussion