New video format

Discuss anything that is related to OpenArcanum.
Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

New video format

Postby Crypton » Fri May 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Yesterday, I've posted here some reencoded videos from Arcanum, which should now look better than original bink encoded videos. Now its time to choose a new video format for Arcanum videos, which will be used in OpenArcanum as well.

Here is an idea for video:
Codec - H.264
Bitrate - 2048Kbps, Average
Decoder - ???
And for audio:
Codec - Vorbis
Bitrate - 256Kbps, Average
Decoder - http://xiph.org/vorbis/

And everything will be saved in:
Container - Matroska
Reader - http://www.matroska.org/

Now we need to somebody who will code a class/library which will be able to play (stream) such format by using some open source libraries.

So question is, will I find somebody here who is willing to help me with this task? ;)

Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Re: New video format

Postby Koorac » Fri May 21, 2010 8:37 pm

I think probably libvlc would be the ideal solution (it should definitely support the format you're thinking of). This is the library of the well known VideoLAN player.
If you send me a sample file I could try to embed video playback into the application.

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Sat May 22, 2010 1:21 am

Koorac wrote:I think probably libvlc would be the ideal solution (it should definitely support the format you're thinking of). This is the library of the well known VideoLAN player.
If you send me a sample file I could try to embed video playback into the application.

Hmm, I've checked out that lib you recommended and I think that I found a better lib, libavcodec from FFmpeg, supports a lot of video and audio formats, its really easy to use and I managed to make class for decoding that new video format in half an hour ;)

See you later.

Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Postby Koorac » Sat May 22, 2010 8:06 am

Yeah ffmpeg would've been my second suggestion. Good to hear you implemented playing videos :)

Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Postby Canageek » Tue May 31, 2011 3:12 am

I'd also suggest looking at MPlayer, since it is open source (GPLv2) and will play anything, and is self contained, so we don't have to worry about FFMPEG conflicts like Fallout 3 had. On the otherhand I've heard amazing things about FFMEG, and well a lot of high end games use it.
--Canageek
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog! Settings and ideas abound. | I can also be found on twitter

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
- Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Return to OpenArcanum Discussion