Spambots goes to hell....

News about ArcanumAlive forums.
Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Spambots goes to hell....

Post by Crypton » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:13 pm

After one month of running, we have received a first spam at forums today, even when captcha was enabled :D

Some kind spambot has registered here (username -> frobeteErropvepjrt) and he has tried to spam this forums with adult content, after banning that user and "his" IP address, we got an another spam attempt.

After some googling, I found out that phpbb3 captcha is already cracked, so I have decided to disable that captcha and add own spam protection.

Now you need only prove that you are human, when registering select from combo box "Human" option.

This is completely spambot-proof protection since this protection is also added at server side (modified php scripts).

Hope this will helps, if not, then I will replace that combo box with edit, so users will need to type word "Human" :)

:character-spamguy:

Tom Hackers

Re: Spambots goes to hell....

Post by Tom Hackers » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:56 am

If spam bots use url code, i can suggest this phpbb mod that helped me a lot.

How it works? Easily, it doesn't allow to use links in messages (so you can't post message at all), until you reach X posts. I guess 2-3 posts will be enough to don't see spam messages with urls.

P.s. i only posted a way how i deal with spammers on phpbb based forums. xD

Crypton
Arronax's Best Friend
Arronax's Best Friend

Post by Crypton » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Tom Hackers wrote:If spam bots use url code, i can suggest this phpbb mod that helped me a lot.

How it works? Easily, it doesn't allow to use links in messages (so you can't post message at all), until you reach X posts. I guess 2-3 posts will be enough to don't see spam messages with urls.

Thanks! I know about this mod, but I did not knew that it will works good as spambot protection :) so good idea. Anyway, I see that no more bots came here after my mod, so I will keep it as it is ;)

Tom Hackers

Post by Tom Hackers » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Crypton wrote:
Tom Hackers wrote:If spam bots use url code, i can suggest this phpbb mod that helped me a lot.

Thanks! I know about this mod, but I did not knew that it will works good as spambot protection :) so good idea. Anyway, I see that no more bots came here after my mod, so I will keep it as it is ;)
Sure, just remember this as second way. :D