The ways how to help, contribute and donate

Discuss anything that is related to ArcanumAlive project.
Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

The ways how to help, contribute and donate

Postby Crypton » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Hello everyone,

There are several ways how to help the ArcanumAlive project grow and progress.

1. Developing

If you're an experienced C++ programmer, Lua coder, 2D/3D artist, music composer, voice actor, game designer or website designer, then you are very welcome to join and help us with anything you want. We're looking for people who would like to join the ArcanumAlive's main development team to collaborate on the OpenArcanum project, and any other related projects on this website.

Please note that before you're allowed to join the team, you must prove yourself by completing a few minor project-related tasks and by providing some references or samples of your previous work. If you're specifically interested in the OpenArcanum project, please make sure that you read the FAQ & Project overview topic first.

Don't worry about lack of tasks, there are plenty of things that can be done. If you are interested in helping out, then please ask in this topic.

2. Contributing

If you're either a beginner game developer or you simply don't have the time to work continuously on any larger projects, but you still want to contribute, then please consider this option.

-You can contribute by making or searching for a new game content for the OpenArcanum project. If you're interested, then please visit this topic: New content - Info, rules and tips.

-If you have any ideas and suggestions for improvements to Arcanum, you can post them into OpenArcanum - New ideas topic.

Note: Everybody who will contribute is going to be properly credited for the work.

3. Donating

There are three ways how to donate, which differs in what you want to donate. We're accepting these kinds of donations:

Software donations
You can donate any old (or new, but no longer used) software that you bought and you think that it can be useful for a game developers*. It can be a digital download license, or psychical package (CD's) license, in which case, the shipping will be paid by us. If you're a company and you get the software for good prices, you may also donate a brand new software.

*Here is a list of a useful software:
  • Autodesk 3ds Max, MotionBuilder, Maya or any other 3D software, such as Milkshape 3D, DAZ Studio, POSER, etc.
  • Adobe Photoshop or any other image editors
  • Sony Sound Forge, Vegas Pro or any other audio and video editors
  • Microsoft Visual Studio or any other IDE that supports C++ language
  • Any version of MS Windows and Mac OS
  • Any older PC games, from which we can get inspired

Asset donations
If you've ever created or bought any 3D models, textures, images, audio samples or anything else game-related, and it was left unused or you no longer need it, then you can donate it and we will definitely try to find a use of it.

Money donations
There is also an option to make a money donations, especially if can't donate in any other way. In this case, your donations will be used for:
  • Paying web hosting bills (~$200 USD a year)
  • Paying off the most productive developers and contributors
  • Unspent donations in given year will be then re-donated to the local animal shelter (Located in Czech Republic)

You can also specifically donate to:

In this case, your donation will be used for purchasing a dedicated server for the OpenArcanum project, so we can host a multiplayer game 24/7. This way, there will be always at least one server online, which means everybody will be able to play online at any time. Only the actual server is currently needed, we have fast connection for free already. No monthly payments, we are going to be independent from the start.

Message for students and underpaid hard-working people: Please keep you caps and buy your boy/girl/friend a flower or a gift. We can pay those bills from our pockets when the time comes. You don't have to put yourself on a diet because of us ;)

In all cases, you'll receive a Coin or Ware donator status at these forums, plus you'll be noted in Special Thanks section of OpenArcanum credits, along with former Troika staff.
If you have donated already, then please let me know by sending me a PM.

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Re: The ways how to help, contribute and donate

Postby Crypton » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:02 am

WORK IN PROGRESS

List of help offers:

Koorac - Programmer (Post - Jul, 2009)
Brad - Web designer and indie game dev (PM - Nov, 2010)
Birimorisar - Quest writer (PM - Mar, 2011)
Kcilorak - Programmer and voice actor (PM - Mar, 2011)
vengerofthelight - Writer and editor (PM - May, 2012)
mirt - Novice programmer (PM - Jun, 2012)
Blaze656 - Writer and editor (Post - Oct, 2012)
wildwarp - Senior tester (PM - Oct, 2012)

List of Coin Donators:

2012: Xayvong
2010: Saruman

Hall of Attempters

These are the members who have attempted to help us in some way, but haven't succeeded for some reason, usually because of lack of spare time. They deserve to be mentioned here, because they put some effort to their attempts.

Zeratchi - Voice acting, music composing, story writing and making new sprites in Oct, 2009 and Oct, 2011.
ViRGiL7 - Making a new design for our website in May, 2010.
NeOn - Trying to help with the new GUI design for OpenArcanum in Aug, 2010.
Xayvong - Trying to compose a new theme song(s) for the OpenArcanum in Jan, 2012.

Note: If I forgot to mention you in any of above lists, then please send me a PM.

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 am

Help offers received through a private messages

I've received a several help offers since this project started, however I didn't take some of them seriously, because they lacked any kind of structure and introduction. Here are the offers that I consider to be valid and nice. Some of them have even made my day. ;)

Birimorisar - Wed Mar 09, 2011 wrote:Crypton,

I am sorry, I did not know where to post this so i chose to PM you. I just wanted to say thank you for all that you are doing, and encourage you to continue with all this work. It is quite an amazing undertaking on your part, and I want you to know that it is appreciated.

I was reading old posts by you in House of Lords, and it seems to me that a lot of people there did not understand what you are trying to do. I will not claim to say that I fully understand, but it seems to me that you want to be able to revitalize the game, and make it more versatile.

I love Arcanum, it is a wonderful game, and I return to it time and time again.

Any efforts on your part to keep it alive, restore more content, complete planned content, and just improve on it - I think it is wonderful. keep it up, please.

I have often wished to be a billionaire and be able to buy the rights of the game, and hire the entire original creative team that created it so that the game could be more complete, and more polished. You know, have horses, vehicles, children for all the races, breakable walls, all ethnic groups, different architectures, etc.

Also, while I think sequels and prequels would be fun, I would rather see the whole world. I have often thought that Arcanum is just one continent in a much larger world. And it would be fun to see, maybe 3 more continents with more cultures, places, quests, etc.

I wish I was more of a computer/programmer person so that I could be of some help, but sadly I am not. If you ever are able to get your goals accomplished with your Arcanum projects, and you want some help from more of a writer's perspective regarding quests, and such things, please do not hesitate to ask. I know that most likely you have more people like that than you need. But I would love to contribute in that manner if it is ever possible. I have often fantasized what the rest of that world would look and be like.

Thank you again for doing all this.

With respect and admiration,

Birimorisar

Kcilorak - Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 pm wrote:Hi my name is Adam. I just found out about your project today. I am a HUGE fan of Arcanum. it is one of my favorite games of all time. I am a software developer and happen to do most of my work in C++ and java and would absolutely LOVE to join your project. I am also a fairly experienced voice actor and if I could contribute in that facet as well I would be very interested. I am available to start working as soon as I can get my hands on some source code and direction! I eagerly await your response and can't wait to bring one of the greats to a REAL OS. :dance:

-Kcilorak

Xayvong - Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:06 pm wrote:Hey, Crypton!

For some reason, I was always under the impression that someone was helping you with this project, and I've been watching this project passively for some time now. I really wish I could help you with coding or anything else in some way, but unfortunately, I have no idea how :|

But, fortunately, I am a prominent local musician in my area, so I and several artist's that I know can make music for you. And since I have a good amount of audio equipment, maybe I can even supply you with Voice acting and dialogue ( how hard could it be to round up a couple of buddies?)

And yes, I am serious about helping you in any way, its not fair your stuck doing everything by yourself on such an awesome idea, for a game that I love.

Also, give me information about how I could donate money for the project, it won't be much, because unfortunately, I am a struggling university student, but I'll try to periodically leave some money for you to keep the project going. :mrgreen:

Let me know what you think about this idea ;)

vengerofthelight - Thu May 17, 2012 3:36 am wrote:First, I'd like to say that your project is an incredibly ambitious undertaking, especially considering you're essentially a team of one person. That's just... to me it's mind boggling.

Second, I'd like to say that, if-- no, when you are able to release a finished version of this project that's completely playable from beginning to end (both clone version and extended version), I will personally purchase a server for you. I'm not even talking highly bugfixed version, just the incredible project you've set out to do in it's full form.

This is not a joke.

Last, as much as I'd like to be of some help pushing this thing along, frankly I have little talent/skill for you to make use of. I'm a halfway decent writer (completely amateur; I'm not published anywhere), and I've played the original game to death, but that's about it.

All that said, I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that Open Arcanum doesn't just get added to the increasingly large list of inactive projects for a game that is now over a decade old. Thank you for having a passion for what is easily my favorite CRPG of all time.

P.S.: In case you're wondering whether or not I'm just some crazy person, I spent ~$5,000 U.S. on my gaming PC. So, yes, I'm knowledgeable about the costs associated with building a machine capable of being the server (or even the cost of building a host of servers, depending on popularity/traffic) for your project. I'm aware that this may define me as a crazy person, but I'm not just a crazy person. :)

mirt - Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:52 pm wrote:Hi,
I'm partial to your arcanum project, so i just want to know: do you need help in coding part? I'm student, C++ programmer (just started almost fulltime job) and i want to be involved.
Sorry, my english even worse than yours one :)

wildwarp - Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:32 pm wrote:Hi

I'm not a C++ developer, voice actor or one of the roles you seem to be looking for, though I'm actually a professional software tester with some 18yrs experience. I'm currently in the midst of a 14 month contract with FIL (Pension provider), but I have a bit of time around the family, house, etc and I would like to help out if you want my help. I've almost exclusively tested commercial systems, but as the 40 odd game dvds on the wall attest, I'm also a veteran gamer.

You have my email address if you want to drop me a line.

I really would like to see Arcanum resurrected, it is a great game, it was always one of those titles that should have had a sequel but never did....

Many regards

Paul Malone

Ailing Wolf
Ailing Wolf

Postby soshial » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:34 pm

You forgot to add my offer here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=312&start=10#p1096

Arronax's Best Friend
Zombie
Arronax's Best Friend
ArcanumAlive Developer
Zombie

Postby Crypton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 am

Hello there,

Sorry, but I thought that you're busy a lot, so I didn't considered it as a real help offer. You said that you can't spend much time helping and that you can only advice or/and occasionally help. Plus you wanted to try a bunch of other things, like voice acting, quest writing, implementing AI, and so on.

Also, I needed a help before, with the upgrade of this website. I was working on that Links and Downloads sections alone for the last two weeks, and now that the upgrade is complete, I can move back to finish the development of TOEE Model Convertor, so we can reuse those models in OpenArcanum.

So, if you know anything about Autodesk's FBX SDK, hierarchies of 3D meshes, and skeletal animations, then you're welcome to join me ;)

Return to Project Discussion